Periodontal Dentistry is a comprehensive term for the provision of healthy supporting structures for your teeth. This includes the gums and the jaw bone that surround your teeth. In recent years, dental implants have also been added to periodontics.
Signs of gum disease are:
- Spaces between gums and teeth (Black triangle disease).
- Receding gums.
- Bad taste or foul odor including bad breath.
- Treatment includes:
- Scaling -removal plaque, tartar and disease (infection) causing bacteria front the crown and roots of the teeth.
- Root planning-combined with scaling and includes cleaning, polishing and smoothing the roots of the teeth to prevent accumulation of bacteria and the formation of a new infection.
- More frequent cleanings- Studies show recolonization of disease causing bacteria starts within 60-90 days.
- Patient education to help fight and prevent gum disease at home.